Wednesday, January 12, 2011

JANUARY 12....Who ever will forget this date?! Not the people of Hait that is for sure. It is a National Memorial Day today and people turned out in droves at churches all over the country and at special ceremonies at the PAP Cathedral and the in Champs Mars..near to the Palace. It was not only a day for remembering those lost in the earthquake and those still suffering the ill effects of the fateful day but also a day of celebrating life and one of Hope for a brighter and modern Haiti for the future.


I am sure many of you have even participated in memorial events or witnessed them on the TV news. I have heard reports from Haitian press people in Paris, Montreal, Florida and New York of the activities being carried out in these cities.


At Hope House we are hosting a TV journalist and his photographer from my hometown. They are the same two fellows who were with me shortly after the earthquake last year. They are encourage by some of the progress they have witnessed but also a saddened to see so much still to be done. We just hope and pray that in the weeks/months progress will come more quickly with improved collaboration and coordination between the gov't and private sectors and all of the NGO's working in Haiti.

My thoughts took many different directions today as I thought of Jan 12, 2010 and the months that followed. It was a very eventuful year. One of the things I recalled were the messages of support and concern that I recieved from so many of you during the hours, days, weeks and even months after the 12th. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to send those notes and prayers of care for me, the folks we work with, the children we care for and for Haiti and its people in general....you will never now they encouraged me to keep putting one step in front of the other.

Throughout my years here I have continually said "there is always Hope for Haiti". As I close today I leave you with this quote from Ian Rawson at Hopital Albert Schweitzer......."Haiti is poor in material terms, but Haitians are rich in their spirit and their courage. In the past year alone, they have endured a horrendous earthquake, floods in our region and a deadly cholera epidemic. Despite this, they never give up. Therefore never can we. We draw strength from their forbearance and resilience. Every day we learn again about the reservoirs of strength which come from hope."

Amen......Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment