Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hello all: My oh my..hasn't the time just flown by, since my last time with you.
Let me back track a bit. Friday I bade farewell to the Iowa team...AKA "the Prestige-ous" team. It was an earlier start than usual as "they"...whoever "they" are of political persuasion were calling for a national transport strike and threatening damage to banks,, gas stations and other publice services that would remain open. Not knowing how the streets would be we left earlier than necessary and had extra eyes in the back of the truck with us.....Populaire with his trusty baton......Luckily all was calm, no road blocks, no burning tires, banks and gas stations functioning as usual so the team got to the airport in plenty of time. I don't think they minded too much being glad to have everyone checked in and settled before it got really busy.
Here is a picture of that Prestigous group and please note the handywork of Buzz who worked all day Thursday getting that little canopy ready....it is a perfect deterent to that hot sun.....at least for those who don't with to do their tannying time while sitting in the back of the truck.
Front row: Abby, Liza, Bob, Darryl, Dave, Dave aka Buzz
Back Row: Judy, Mary Anne, Katie and Pastor Keith









Once back at Hope House, I got busy straightening up my room or at least a part of it and hauled out the suitcases to see if all of my iron work will fit...it won't so I will now be wrapping a few pieces in cardboard....sound familiar to anyone?!

Saturday Wilner came with Bob and Thia and Mimim came from across town...it was family weekend at Hope House. Bob is home for vacation from his medical studies in Santiago and it was my only chance to see him as well as Mimim too. We enjoyed the afternoon by the pool at the Visa Lodge as well as the buffet lunch. It was a real treat for all. In the evening with "pizza buns" made we squished into our room (Joel included) and watched the muscial Mama Mia. I never tire of that music and enjoyed it as ever. The "kids" liked it too. Sunday mid morning saw everyone heading home. I admit to having a little siesta once everyone was gone, before I sat down at the computer. Below is a picture to introduce you to Thia, Bob and Mimim










The last couple of days have been taking care of various and sundry bits of business. I won't bore you with those details. One story though that may interest you. My last chore before heading home yesterday was to pick up some cheque books at the bank. I was about the 20th or so in line outside, just standing there watching the sites while I waited to get in. There was lots of traffic and one of the vehicles that passed by was a huge steam roller rumbling along. It has just passed by the bank when the next thing you know, everyone came fleeing out of the bank. In my mind, I was thinking there must be a bank hold up and I was waiting to start hearing gun fire or some such thing related to a hold up. Within a very short period of time, we realized that in actuality it was everyone panicking at the trembling inside the bank ,caused by the steam roller as it passed by. Earthquakes and its impact are still very much in the psyche of a lot of people. Many of the folks outside who saw the steam roller were laughing and joking at the reaction of the othes and yet they were very understanding of them as well.


The school is pretty quiet these days, now that most of the kids and staff are on vacation. The kids in rheto and philo finish their state exams this week. The admin staff will take a few days vacation at the end of the month and then all to soon we will be preparing for the new school year...set to begin Oct 4.

I too will take a little time away so please do not be surprised not to find anything on this site over the next two weeks.

Until next time...enjoy the summer, stay safe and Peace be with you!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment