Sunday, May 2, 2010

Good Sunday evening to all:

Another week comes to a close and a busy one (what else is new) about to begin. I will have folks with me from May 3 to 12 all coming at different days and directions. It was a step in faith getting this week together, but I am happy to stay it is all coming together. I've found Haitian doctors and nurses to work with us and thus we will be doing various clinics during the week. Those details will come as the week goes by.

I am happy to say that no one from the various groups arriving this week was deterred from continuing their travel plans to Haiti, despite the news they recieved from me about two thieves entering the HH grounds on Thursday evening. I was on my way home from a funeral and called Joel to let him know I would be later than I expected having gotten caught up in some traffic. When he answered the phone he let me know about what had just occurred at the house. God was once again looking after us as Joel was not injured badly...he was hit and punched a few times and thanks to his yelling, Hopie's barking and a friend happening along who helped out, the thieves were scared off and ran away without taking anything. It is difficult to predict what if anything else will happen. We know nothing is sure in this life and with Haiti as it is these days, one never knows. As I said, I have already notified the groups coming in the next weeks/month and will be contacting other groups that are planning to come in July and beyond with the hope too that they will not be deterred from coming. I don't think it is necessary to call off travel to Hope House but I want everyone to make their own informed decision about what he/she wishes to do. I have two extra men here at night for the time being to keep an eye on things and I will be tracking the situation as we go along. If anyone who is planning to come to Hope House has any questions please do not hesitate to be in touch.

I did talk to the police that evening but as I expected nothing was going to be done. They told me to go to the police station in CdB the next day to report the incident. I did that after circling around the town a couple of times trying to find the station....it was like I couldn't see the tree for the forest as the current building is just inside these huge walls being built for a new prison and headquarters. For the PNH, things were pretty efficient but I did chuckle to myself when I had to take the hand written report to the nearest photocopy place to make a copy and to take back ot the station to get the original and the copy stamped and signed. It must be frustrating for the young officers who wish to do a good job and they don't have the tools necessary to do it. The female officer taking care of me didn't even have a ruler to use, she had to pull out an old identity type credit card to use for a ruler. So another new experience for me.

The week contained two others for me too as I had my first lesson with Joseph in driving the big truck. Lesson number 2 will be backing it up....not my strong suit that is for sure! The second new thing was changing a light switch on my own after a few hints and instructions from Jim Meyer. He and his crew were taking advantage of our power to finish cutting and preparing some wood they were using to make Marie new pews for her church. ..a definite example of one good turn deserves another.

It was pay day this week and then went okay. We gave out some more rice packets to the teachers and will do a distribution for the students on Tuesday.

Progress is slow on getting various temporary camp sites ready but it is being made never the less. More of the downtown has been cleared up and Jim reported to me that work on the Palace has begun.

Hopie is doing well with her babies....I know I still have to get a picture of them..

time is marching on my friends, so I will say tira for now and head out to the kitchen to do a little cooking.

Have a good week!
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment