Saturday, June 19, 2010










Good Saturday afternoon to all: I have just arisen from a nice Saturda afternoon siesta...my reward after having folded and put away five loads of sheets and towels and a few other chores under my belt. Wilner is ensconsed in our room happily watching the soccer match between Denmark and Cameroon. I thought I would take advantage of this time and get you caught up.








Thursday, we split up to accomplish our final activities and chores. Half the team stayed at Little Children of Jesus painting, enjoying music hour with Jorel and Lisa did some physiotherapy for some of the kids. The other half (with the muscle) came to my apt and got the rest of the boxes and furniture and took it back to Hope House where we unpacked and found storage space for them. The items are spread far and wide from the new apt. to the kitchen, my room and the small store room. I just have to go back one more time for the plants and a couple of odds and sods and to hand over the keys.
We then collected up the group at LCJ and enjoyed lunch before heading back to HH to do last minute chores, pack bags and get ready for the 10 guests joining us for dinner.
Patty Myer and her team of ladies (9) arrived on Wed to spend time with Marie. Since aAll of them are from the same area (Naperville, Ill) and most go to the same church we thought it would be nice to get together.









Cathy treated us all to brawursts which we barbecued or should I say "grilled" as I have learned is the American way to say BBQ. You can see Jay here "grilling" up the brats, cooked the special Naperville way, with his supervisors carefully watching his work.














It was a fine evening, topped off with a singsone led by Dan and his guitar.
Yesterday, I got the gang off safe and sound to the airport and coming back home did a few chores. The gals at HH busily cleaned rooms and made up 5 beds for the guests that arrived at noon time to spend the night. They were friends of mine who were heading back home today after passing two weeks in a mountain village above Hopital Albert Schweitzer. We spent a good evening getting caught up. They were most interested to learn about the Lazarus Project too.


Just as they arrived yesterday I was in the midst of dealing with a team of EDH repairmen who showed up to fix the wire that had been vandalized the night before outside our house and across the road at our neighbour's place. I was completely amazed they showed up so quickly and it makes me wonder who has "pull ' that lives in our area (I didn't mention it earlier but our street also got graded this week to level out some of the potholes). Somehow or other though I was supposed to go and buy new wire and give it to them to fix our problem as well as change a hook up to our transformer that was not done correctly (or so they say). Knowing the Haitian system, I think they were looking to grease their palms and again knowing the system, I did!..but heh last night when the EDH gave power, we had lights at our place. They were happy with the "ti kob" (little money) I gave them and their bags of rice and beans so it was a win win situation, as they say!
On that positive note, I bid you farewell for the weekend. Hope it's a good one no matter which way you are spending it.
Cheers,
Debbie








No comments:

Post a Comment