Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hello again: Since I last "spoke" two classrooms were painted at the school, several chores at Hope House accomplished, the team participated in the Monday morning assembly before heading to the airport and since their departure I have had 2 mornings at the school attending to paper work, meetings and some sick kids.

The painting took place Sunday after church and our lunch at the picnic table under the big almond tree behind the chapel. The classrooms were 2 of the smaller ones so the job was accompished in two hours or so....AMAZING. While they painted I did accounting work for the University program and as luck would have it I finished that just as the team finished painting.

They were more enthusiastic about their painting than they were about singing at chapel service.....it was a very reluctant "choir" that stood before the kids to sing. Luckily Jorel, who had been delayed arrived in the nick of time and his accordian music to accompany them gave them a little more courage to their singing. Plus Julienna and Devin had great voices and did an excellant job of leading the rest of us on. In the end Jorel even coaxed a second song out of them. It was a rather lively one and the kids were even clapping and singing along.

The team were quite taken with Hopie's little "girl" and she sure got a lot of loving attention during the week and was given the name "Peanut" which seems to have stuck...although I call her little "dezod" (mischief) as she eats the cats food, drags the dish outside even, chews my shoes and other items in site etc . She like her mom has taken to keeping me company in the office while I work away.

On the news front President Preval had a news conference today regarding the upcoming presidential elections, now set for Nov 28. I didn't hear his speech but what I gather is that a lot was related to the CEP (conseille electoral provisionale) which has had problems with corruption ...not a good thing when they are to assure that the elections are run honestly, with integrity etc. New members are being selected as far as I can understand.

and there you have it for now. Hope the week is going well for you.
cheerio,
Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Bon swa Mdme Debbie. We have our Independence Day celebration coming up this weekend which we celebrate on July 4th. Most people have Monday the 5th off work. Supposed to warm up in Wisconsin this weekend - high 80s/low 90s and humid. I'm looking forward to it as it will remind me of a wonderful bit of time (albeit short) I spent in Haiti. I hope you are well and enjoying the break before a new group arrives. hugs 2 u - Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete