Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hello all:

A day full of activity despite the fact that a team is not with me. Joseph was impressed when he arrived at 8:00 AM to see I was already hanging laundry on the line..it was already my second load...gotta take advantage of the generator being turned on.

The rest of the day was spend doing errands..changing money (getting ready for the payroll....another month has passed already!!), shopping....buying some treats for my sweetie when I go to see him Friday (Yahoo). I bought some more Haitian souvenirs which will be carted to the US for various and sundry activities and people. I also stopped by to see Mme Nazaire at the school of nursing. She is preparing for a Mass to be held Friday at the former site of the school, in memory of all who lost their lives. Nurses from my hometown and staff from McMaster University who worked closely on a project with the school wanted to have a wreath sent so I was arranging that with Miss Nazaire. I could tell she was having her challenges when she had to ask one of her staff to go and by and extension cord so they could have some power for the speakers (from a generator)to be used Friday. She told me that she had to tell everyone participating to bring whatever they needed for their part of the program as she just did not have everything that would be needed. I gave her my regrets that I would be unable to attend due to my plans to visit Wilner. I left she and her assistants working out other details. She at least has her chair moved from the busy sidewalk to the grounds where the school used to be. All that is left is the first year classroom and another room.

Since returning to Hope House, I have been holed up in the office with my spreadsheets, acct book and payroll list. I've had half an ear on the radio and heard citizens on the Island of Gonaives calling in regarding a prison break out on the island and the abandoned police station. It seems a food depot was also robbed but I didn't catch enough of that to give a good report. There is also a lot of chatter about the rebuilding process and ensuring some sort of Haitian participation in light of so many countries offering to help with the rebuilding.

That is it for today folks.....I will go and end my day as I started it....by doing a couple of loads of laundry....heh at least I am not doing it by hand!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment